BUSHWICK PRINT LAB (BPL) was founded by Ray Cross in 2009 and has continued to evolve as an artist-run silkscreen production studio and DIY space. We produce projects on paper, canvas, textiles, dimensional objects and custom materials for fine artists, graphic and fashion designers, activist groups, not-for-profits, corporations, and museums. BPL is home to talented printmakers and is open to the DIY community, offering studio space rental, basic to advanced printmaking workshops, and pay services such as screen making, film outputs, and print production.
We are looking for someone to help out two days (16-20 hrs) a week with studio administration at our small and busy silkscreen space. The ideal candidate would have an understanding of the screen printing process and past experience running (or assisting with) administration in art studios and/or community/DIY spaces. They should be highly organized, pay close attention to detail and have great communication skills. They should be very self-sufficient and driven to set up, implement and maintain their own systems for organization as well as be prepared to research, learn and introduce new elements of administration as the business continues to grow. They should be great problem solvers and invested in non-profit-style community engagement.
Typical Admin Tasks include:
- Keep track of bookkeeping and expenses through Freshboooks
- Pay bills (Studio Phone / Spectrum/ Con Edison / National Grid) and fix any issues that arise with these services
- Organize + pay incoming invoices
- Communicate with the director, apparel manager and printers to continuously improve how information is kept and organized
- Maintain sales tax
- Gather and submit all necessary tax documentation to our accountant
- Maintain payroll
- Keep track of and maintain insurance policies (Workers comp, disability + general liability)
- Follow up on overdue invoices
- Help interview, hire and manage work traders
- Help sort emails + answer basic questions in our main inbox
- Help maintain our calendar
- Manage our mailchimp mailing list + build occasional mailchimp campaigns
- Maintain + make changes to our website
- Maintain, make changes + ship orders from our online store
- Occasionally make social media posts
- Help plan and coordinate occasional special events (ie: markets, exhibits)
- Familiarity with the screen printing process for paper and apparel
- At least two years experience working in arts administration
- Familiarity with non-profit administration (currently we are for-profit but may be looking to transition into a non-profit or worker-owned business in the next few years).
- Familiarity with the following platforms: Freshbooks, Shopify, Wordpress, Gusto, Mailchimp, Instagram, Photoshop
- Experience working in customer service
- Intuitive communication skills
- Great attention to detail
- Great organizational skills
- Ability to be self-sufficient and self-driven
Pay: $15/hr for two month training period with incremental increases up to $25/hr as responsibility grows. No benefits.
To apply, please send your resume and a short cover letter to * Join to View *" rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" style="color: purple;">* Join to View *. Please put “Studio Administrator Application” in the subject line.